Tuesday, June 11, 2013

june polish day - to boldly go

This month's polish day challenge is 'To Boldly Go'.  Space, Star Wars, Star Trek, galaxy nails, NASA, etc.  I have been wanting to do a galaxy paint job for a long time.  I was all set to do one until I got a super cute voice mail from my nephews.  They are Star Wars nuts.
I quickly changed my mind on the paint job and planned out a Star Wars themed one instead.
*more photos after the jump*
I had to do lots of planning for this paint job, with over 16 different colors and each nail being so different.  I picked five different characters from the films that would translate to nails and wouldn't be super hard.
STORM TROOPER
The classic baddie from Star Wars.  They are so simple, just black and white, yet the basic design is so easily recognizable
CHEWBACCA
The simple brown fur with his utility belt (is it still a belt if it goes around the shoulder not the waist?).  Simple and easy, but again, easily recognizable if you know Star Wars.
 BOBA FETT
Another baddie from the Star Wars universe.  I honestly think there are more Boba Fett fans out there than there are Han Solo.
 R2-D2
This nail would look a little odd without the rest of the nails, more like abstract art.  But paired with the other nails, again, an easily recognizable character.  And yes, I do realize that R2-D2 is more white and royal blue, but the silver background was a bit more festive.
 in a GALAXY far, far away...
So, I got in one galaxy nail.  Space is so prevalant in the Star Wars movies that it is almost like its own character.  I thought of doing the jump to hyper speed image but I didn't think that would translate to such a small canvas.


Overall, this was a fun paint job.  I might have to recreate it again this summer when my nephews come to visit.

Sinful Colors - This Is It, Nirvana, Zincing of You, Muse, Last Chance, Cross My Heart, Hot Wired, Ice Dream, Secret Admirer, Black On Black
essie - A List
MAC - Mistletoe
Wet & Wild - Saved By The Blue
Sally Hansen - Celeb City, White On, Mellow Yellow

Check out these other great 'To Boldly Go..." paint jobs:



7 comments:

  1. Oh wow...I have so much love for this awesome mani (fellow Star Wars fanatic right here!!) love every single nail, my fab is definitely the storm trooper! :D

    Aysh xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This was a super fun mani, so many characters to choose from. The storm trooper is wickedly easy, just white under color. Then use either a dotting tool or a skinny brush with some black polish for the details. You can change the little details so each nail is a bit different.

      Delete
  2. wow, these are great! And instantly recognisable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I tested out the recognizability on my mom, I figured if she guessed it, they were good to go.

      Delete
  3. I particularly love the storm trooper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love the storm trooper too but am proudest of Boba Fett.

      Delete
  4. I love your take and I'm a huge Star Wars fan too! I think you did a great job - I could recognize all of the characters, though that might be because I'm such a geek!

    ReplyDelete