Monday, December 24, 2012

holiday challenge - santa clause is coming to town

Day four of the holiday challenge is 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town'.  The first place my mind went is to the song of the same title.  Particularly a few lines:
He's making a list,
Checking it twice;
Gonna find out who's naughty or nice.
Santa Claus is coming to town
These lines inspired my left hand:


And then some other lines:
With little tin horns and little toy drums
Rooty toot toots and rummy tum tums
Santa Claus is coming to town
These lines inspired my right hand:

Off topic but what the heck is 'rooty toot toots' and 'rummy tum tums'?  It sounds like a toot after eating root veggies and a belly full of spiked egg nog.  And yes, I am holding a clean & empty mini bottle of ketchup in the above photos.  Back to this paint job.

Both hands were super easy, just with a few tricks.  The naughty or nice list was simple because I remembered to do the more complicated paint job on my non-dominate hand.  Plus, I used a thin Sharpie to draw the boxes and names.
I should have waited longer for the Sharpie to dry because it did bleed a little.  But overall, wow, using Sharpies is possible and so much easier than trying to do tiny decor with a brush and nail polish.  I did use a brush and polish for the check marks because it didn't have to be as neat.  I also decided to go with a matte finish top coat.  I thought this would be more old school parchment like.
My right hand was very easy.  The hardest part was going through my plates to find little images of things that could be presents.  I used a rocket, sunglasses, drum, boombox (my 10 year old nephew has no idea what a boombox is, now I feel old), and a tennis racket.
For the base color I wanted something simple.  Last week I bought some new OPI colors (wholesale prices are dangerous) and have been wanting to use them.  This gold color (OPI - Up Front & Personal) looks amazing in the bottle.  Sort of like if liquid gold and liquid silver were mixed.  I am wicked happy with how it turns out on the nails.  It looked good with just one coat too, but I ended up with two coats.

OPI - Up Front & Personal, Malaga Wine
Sinful Colors - Black on Black, San Francisco, Tokyo Pearl
Nails INC - Westminster Bridge matte top coat
plates - Cheecky CH30, CH46, CH36, CH31, CH34

Check out these other amazing 'Santa is coming' paint jobs:


No comments:

Post a Comment