Wednesday, December 12, 2012

'skittlette' contest

chitchatnails.com posted a new contest a couple of days ago.  This contest was simple yet so much fun and it fit perfectly between holiday challenge days.  This contest is a 'skittlette' paint job.  What is 'skittlette' you ask?  It is a paint job consisting of two or three accent nails on each hand.
 This is something I usually do when I do non theme paint jobs so I thought it would be fun to come up with a 'skittlette' paint job that was a little more elegant.



outside
 I started with wanting to do a new style paint job on the non accent nails.  Plus, I just picked up some of the binder hole savers that make a mini moon paint job a lot easier.  I found a pack of them at Diaso, 600 for $1.50.  Good thing the polishes at Diaso are crap or else I would pick up all those as well.  Seriously, Diaso is amazing.  They have sponges designed like a piece of cake.  So it is literally sponge cake.  Sorry, tangent, back to the 'skittlette' paint job.
 inside
At first I started with just the two color moon paint job with the accent nails.  But then after planning the two accent nails, I decided to add the silver studs.
 outside
I had to use the mini stud on the pinky because the large on looked funny with the moon paint job.  The two accent nails are just two different stamps.
inside
They are stamped with the same style color used on the moon nails, just a little darker so they would show up over the silver.  Why stamping over the silver?  I have found out that silver doesn't show up thick and distinct when used as the stamping polish.  The two different plates are from different collections from Cheeky.  The swirl one is from a newer collection so the designs are bigger.  It easily covered the whole thumb.  The stripes are from an older (and smaller plate size) collection so it was impossible to cover my whole thumb.  I don't even have large and/or long nails so I can see why they switched to larger plates and designs.
There is a look that I have seen on other blogs that I really like.  It happens with stamping only.  It appears if the stamped image is floating above the polish.  I achieved it a bit with the striping on my thumb.  Basically just pile on the clear top coat, which just means the paint job will take even longer.  I also can't capture it with my camera (cough iphone cough).


OPI - Do You Lilac It?, A Grape Fit!
Essie - Sexy Divide
Estee Lauder - Bete Noire
Sally Hansen - Celeb City
plates - Cheeky CH10, CH52

When you set out to do a paint job with an accent nail, do you ever do a 'skittlette' paint job by doing more than one accent nail?  Have you ever don't a mini moon paint job using binder hole sticker things?  Is anyone else craving Skittles now?

1 comment: