Monday, December 3, 2012

holiday challenge: rocking around the christmas tree

My first nail art challenge!!  It is a Holiday challenge, being December and all.  The first day is 'Rocking Around the Christmas Tree'.  Well, I sort of went all out and took this title very literally.  One hand is a tree -
The other hand has all the wonderful presents -

The tree was pretty simple to do, well, if you have a small brush and a couple of dotting tools.  I started with the base color (white then pearl) and let it super dry.  Then did the base/skirt of the tree, with the trunk.  Both were done with the dotting tool.  Again, let those super dry so the 'branches' didn't smudge the trunk.
The branches were easy, you just can't try and make it perfect.  It looks better all wonky, more like a real tree.  Just layer different green polishes until it looks good.  Again, let it dry.  Dot on some twinkle lights and ornaments.  
The star on top would have been great with a gold star rhinestone, but I do not have those so it is just tons and tons of layers of glitter gold polish.

The presents were also super easy.
 I gave it a little twist with making the wrapping paper have a matte finish.  I thought it would help the glitter wrapping paper pop.


These are nails that will not last long (another challenge coming up) because they are so Christmas specific.  I do like the look of the tree nails, but the present nails are not my favorite.

*warning, lots of polishes were used in this paint job
Sinful Colors - Tokyo Pearl, Last Chance, Nirvana, Exotic Green, All About You, This Is It
Essie - A List
Sally Hansen - Celeb City, White On
OPI - Got the Blues for Red, You Only Live Twice
China Glaze - Glittering Garland
Nails INC - Westminster Bridge (matte top coat)


Check out these other great blogs and their interpretation of 'Rocking Around the Christmas Tree' -




4 comments:

  1. Love these! That tree is so cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are such lovely presents under the bushy tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one that this isn't their first challenge! Your nails look awesome and I like the idea of how you did one hand the Christmas tree and the other hand presents. I would have never thought of that, obviously! Haha

    Looking forward to the rest of the challenge!

    Brit

    ReplyDelete