Monday, March 25, 2013

nautical grab bag

I did a paint job on my friend when she was visiting earlier this week.  It was a combo of dots and anchor stamps.  It inspired me to do this grab bag nautical themed paint job,
*more after the jump*
I went with a gradient for the 'normal' nails, well, as normal as a gradient can be.
This glitter polish is a new purchase (hard to resist a $.99 sale) and I thought it would fit with the nautical theme.  For scale as to how tiny the blue glitter really is - the nail above is my pinky. 
After going through my two nautical/pirate stamp plates, I picked three of the different designs.  I knew I didn't want to stamp over a gradient because it wouldn't stand out as much.  So I picked another blue polish that works with the gradient colors.
Boat wheels and anchors.  I love the anchor stamp, it is so cute and preppy.
I guess I wiggled a little too much when stamping because these life-rings look like they are melting.  I know the typical color of a boat life-ring is orange but I went with a red because it worked better with the overall paint job.  This nail definitely looks better from further away.  Thankfully most people won't look at my nails with a micro lens. 

This paint job took a little bit of planning but I like the overall effect.  And I am so happy with the white glue prep.  I did it again for all the nails except the glitter nail.  It worked like a charm again.  I will create a tutorial for it next week (fingers crossed).  It saves so much time and is so easy.  I am sure there are products out there specifically for applying around the nail when doing paint jobs.  But I am guessing those are $$$.  White glue (I use Elmers) is super cheap.  Plus, if you miss some of it when pulling off, it dissolves in water.  The micro photo of the gradient - that nail required NO clean up after the glue was pulled off.  How awesome is that??

OPI - Got The Blues For Red
Sinful Colors - Ice Dream, Rain Storm, Why Not, Black on Black
Wet & Wild - I Need A Refresh-mint
Sally Hansen - Celeb City, White On

No comments:

Post a Comment