Monday, October 8, 2012

Witch's Kitchen



This polish job is a little crazy.  I heard about a nail art contest through a couple other blogs.  I decided to come up with an idea and enter.  Here is the contest - http://www.bundlemonster.com/frightnight.  I don't think I will win at all, I just want to get some feedback for the paint job.

Why is it called 'Witch's Kitchen'?  I'm a chef and wanted to incorporate a bubbling witch's cauldron.  I also wanted to try sponging.  Over the past couple of days I flushed out my idea and sketched and planed each individual nail.  Sounds a bit odd, but it really helped in the painting.

My right hand was a graveyard with a full moon.  Since I am right handed, this was a tricky paint.  I love how the thumb/full moon turned out.  I painted the moon then sponged on the creepy clouds.  Then with a little touch of some more pure white to make the moon pop.  I think I am going to be using sponging a lot now.  Side note - the sponges I used were from Diaso (a store where everything is $1.50).  They have these tiny sponges that come in 50 to a pack.  50 for $1.50?  It doesn't get much better than that.  And they work perfectly.  I ended up using on with some polish remover and it worked better than a cotton ball.  I might need to go back to Diaso and get some more.

My left was the witch's kitchen.  I re-did my thumb many times before settling with just an orange glitter fade.  First I had a black witch's had on an orange background but it didn't fit with the rest of the nails.  Then I had some black and orange rhinestones and again it didn't fit.  I thought the orange glitter on black added just a little pop of classic Halloween colors.  My index finger it a bottle of potion.  It was a stamp but I ended up painting over the whole thing, so the stamp was used for more of the general shape.  Inside the bottle is different green glitters with some stick glitter.  The other three fingers are the bubbling cauldron.  The middle finger has the bubbles coming out of the bubbling cauldron (ring finger) and the bottom of the black cauldron (pinky).  The bubbles came from another stamp plate but I added lots of rhinestones and beads.  The bubbling potion has glitter, hex glitter and some beads.  The cauldron is simply black hex glitter on top of a black base.

Sinful Colors - Black on Black, Secret Admirer, San Francisco, Muse, Jungle Trail, Irish Green,
Sally Hansen - White On, Celeb City
Plate - Cheeky CH5 & CH26

Has anyone entered a nail art contest?  Do you plan out your more complicated nail jobs?

No comments:

Post a Comment